nanogui: touchscreen calibration

Subject: Re: [nanogui] touchscreen calibration
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 11 Mar 2002 16:57:25 -0000

There ought to be
> one standard calibration program for Microwindows.

I agree.  It would be nice to have a single program to start out with.

Right now, the whole touchscreen world is in limbo, awaiting the
decisions of the kernel maintainers.

Recently, Richard King (the arm-linux maintainer), Alan Cox and Linus got together and decided on
a long term plan to move all touchscreen input into the input subsystem.
This means that all touchscreens will use a common interface like keyboards and mice.
When that happens, then we will only need 1 calibrator anyway.

Until that point, I think that we should use a single program that can
interface with a standard Microwindows API for calibration.  Because
calibration can differ from system to system, I wonder if we have have a
new hook in the input driver for setting calibration data (coupled with
a API function for sending the data from user land.  IIRC, Alex's
program uses something like this already).

That way, each driver could read in standard calibration information and
do its own implementation specific calibration.  In the future, when it
all gets unified under one system, then the hooks could quietly go away.

So far, I like what Alex has done with his calibration program.  If you
had to choose a single calibration program, I would start there.

Jordan