nanogui: Svgalib issue

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Svgalib issue
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 30 Apr 2002 08:14:33 -0000

nicholas schlensky wrote:
> 1)I cannot get tty to function except on the X11 mode

X11 mode uses the X11 keyboard driver, not the TTY keyboard driver.

> 2)Whilst using SVGALIB the windows fail to update properly. I am using the
> demo.sh as atest.

As has been mentioned before, the SVGALIB driver isn't kept as up to
date as the framebuffer drivers. I wouldn't recommend using demo.sh, use
launcher.sh instead.

> I am using krnl 2.4.0 with frame buffer enabled and 1.4.3 SVGALIB.

Do you know how old that is? 2.4.0 was released about 16 months ago and
has many known bugs, especially in the VM system. 2.4.18 is much more
stable. Also I don't think it's a good idea to use svgalib whilst the
framebuffer is active.

> I have been using kbd_tty.c. how Can I use something else?

By modifying the config file and rebuilding. The SCANKBD driver is
better than the TTYKBD driver.

> I have noticed that the framebuffer code seems to work correctly re window
> updates but the scroll speed using nxterm is much slower, is this normal

That depends a lot on which framebuffer driver you're using. vga16fb for
example is quite slow due to the way the underlying video hardware works.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer