nanogui: problem setting video mode using FBSET???

Subject: Re: Re: [nanogui] problem setting video mode using FBSET???
From: "vats_kernel" ####@####.####
Date: 14 May 2002 09:30:10 -0000

by reading kernel documentation,i m figuring out how to run with VESA2 driver,i think that should not b a problem
one more problem i m facing is wen i run nano-X n if i ever switch to other command prompt n try to come back to my nano-X window,its all garbled,original windows is gone,it contains junk characters,often this happens wen i start my nano-X server.wat could b the problem?
tks a lot
regards

"Alex ####@####.#### wrote:
vats_kernel wrote:
> ya i chekced my boot msgs,it says i have a vga16fb
> along with other msgs realted to fb,this was also there
> fb0: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
> so now how do i set my color depth n improve resolution??

Use a different framebuffer driver. The vga16 works at 640*480 in 16
colours using a mode that is virtually guaranteed to work on any VGA
compatible PC video card. The best solution is to find a video card that
is fully supported by one of the Linux framebuffer drivers. If you're
stuck with an unsupported card but it has a Vesa 2 BIOS then you can use
the vesafb driver, but you must specify the video mode to use as kernel
command line parameters and can't change it after booting. If it isn't
even vesa2 compatible and you can't swap it for a different card (eg.
it's onboard video or a laptop), then you're stuck with vga16.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer