nanogui: Nano-X and SDL

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Nano-X and SDL
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jun 2002 16:30:10 -0000

A while back, when porting SMPEG video to Microwindows,
I used a working version of SDL (v113, now old, but
still older than the then current release, but working) and
wrote a complete low-level driver for SDL using the
Nano-X API.  It should support almost all the SDL
capabilities.  Support for hardware paging was not added.
I added the capability for Microwindows to export a
pointer to the framebuffer, so that SDL applications can
write directly to the framebuffer.

Take a look at the nano-X driver in SDL source to see what's
missing, not much, I believe.  Currently, Microwindows only
supports one-window access to the framebuffer.  This
could be expanded if required.  It should work full-screen;
this would work by asking Microwindows to allocate a
full screen window, and then direct-fb-accessing that window.
(Microwindows returns the interior portion of the window
as the framebuffer address, the mwin window manager still
draws the border around the window as usual, if required)

It would be nice to move the SDL 113 Microwindows driver
into the latest SDL release, and have it supported by Sam,
the SDL maintainer.