nanogui: VNC Server for nano-X

Subject: VNC Server for nano-X
From: Gianci ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2002 16:16:38 -0000

Hi all,

I'm very glad to announce the VNC server support for nano-X,
which has been possible thanks to libVNCServer by Johannes E.
Schindelin.

It is still an experimental version and is available (for now) only with
frame buffer/client-server mode/unix with select(), but it is fully
functional and works even with libVNCServer compiled with pthreads (in
this case it is needed a little patch for socket.c which fixes an
annoying bug when a VNC client is gone).

Of course it is far from being perfect. I am not very acquainted with
nano-X or libVNCServer internals, so it is possible that some bugs
creep in.
I can send the patch against microwindows0.89pre8 only by email. So if
you are interested, please, let me know, and I'll send it to you.

You'll need to download the libVNCServer from
http://libvncserver.sourceforge.net

Moreover, I am now working with a more general version which does not
require nano-X to be compiled with the frame buffer support. It uses a
separate internal frame buffer which can be scaled and allows a limited
number of colors to be used through VNC (very useful with slow
connections like a modem).

OK, that's all.

Best regards,
--
Dott. Giampiero Giancipoli         Software Engineer
Fantuzzi Reggiane Electronic Departement