nanogui: vuilding for vga16

Subject: Re: [nanogui] vuilding for vga16
From: Paul Fox ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2002 17:03:16 -0000

 > >     GRAYPALETTE              = Y
 > > since i've got a greyscale screen -- should that make a difference?
 >
 > I'm not sure. Try it both on and off.

it doesn't seem to make any difference to the behavior -- at least
at a gross level.  things are broken either way.

it seems to be the console switch that causes the breakage.  i rebuilt
using:
    LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER     = Y

and this became obvious.  without it, you sort of have to switch
consoles to start the app, after starting nano-X.  with this, or when
using microwindows, the apps sort of work until you switch away and
then back again, and the screen fills with junk.

 > Also make sure FRAMEBUFFER, FBVGA, and VTSWITCH are all turned on. Also
 > use my CVS snapshot as there is a bug (well, a missing feature really)
 > in the VGA16 driver in the latest official release of microwindows that
 > stops window drags (and various other things) from working properly. You
 > can get it from:`
 > http://www.linuxhacker.org/pub/cvs-snapshots/microwin-aph/

i'll try this.  thanks.

 > > i'm running 2.4.17, btw -- i'd assume the framebuffer code was relatively
 > > functional.
 >
 > I wouldn't assume anything with such an unusual hardware arrangement.
 > It's quite possible you could be the first to try it. Even if you do get

i suppose you're right.  given that my hardware is old enough that i
needed to turn on "SLOW_VGA" in vgacons.c, anything is possible.  (i
got random transient bad chars on the screen during screen updates
without it.)

 > it working you may be disappointed with the speed as VGA16 is by far the
 > slowest of the framebuffer drivers (largely due to hardware brain damage).
 >
 > I have an old 486 laptop here that has a Promise VGA chipset in it
 > connected to a 640*480*256 colour LCD, and it runs much faster under
 > Windows 3.1 at 256 colours than Microwindows does using VGA16 mode. I
 > wonder if we could adapt the Linux VGA16 framebuffer driver to support
 > some of the other standard VGA modes?

but my screen doesn't have 256 colors.  it only has 16.  or am i missing
your point somehow?  (i confess i don't know much about pc display
technology, of any vintage.)

i did notice that while the demos were working, that the colors weren't
being mapped usefully -- many areas that i assume should have some
contrast, didn't.  i should try the grey pallette again to see if it
helps.  but i guess a 16 level display just may no longer cut it in
the modern world.  oh well.  it makes a nice terminal.  :-)

 > --
 > ------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
 > If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer

and if a hammer don't fix it, well then what you've got is an
electrical problem.

paul
 paul fox, ####@####.#### (arlington, ma, where it's 82.2 degrees)