nanogui: VT switching questions

Subject: Re: [nanogui] VT switching questions
From: Paul Fox ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 22:06:46 -0000

 > :
 > :     - on my system (486 with very old VGA screen -- max resolution
 > : is 640x480 w/ 16 colors) when i switch VT's (i'm using the
 > : framebuffer driver), the switch works fine, but i get
 > : garbage when i return.  where should i start looking for
 > : this?  i assume restoration of video modes is a kernel
 > : function?  but what graphics mode does it restore?  anything
 > : set by the application?
 >
 > This is the second time I've heard this.  It sounds like there might
 > be a problem with the kernel redrawing the graphics area on
 > return from a VT switch.  If this is the case, then a call
 > to GsRedrawScreen() might be necessary from the vtswitch
 > code to case nano-X to tell all applications to redraw their screens.
 > (this will only work for Nano-X,  win32 will require a
 > MwRedrawScreen()).

thanks greg -- so if i understand this correctly, it's the GsRedrawScreen()
that causes the per-window EXPOSURE events that alex mentioned in an
earlier note, correct?

i notice that a periodic check for VT switches is done on a timer
basis if GsInitialize() is called.  however, this won't be called
(i don't think) if running as a monolithic app.  certainly the vnc
code doesn't call it.  of course, now that i'm looking at it, i
don't see how anything at all gets initialized correctly when running
as a monolithic app.  none of the stuff that GsInitialize() does
(opening the mouse, the keyboard, the initial GsRedrawScreen())
gets done.  i guess the answer is that the monolithic app is
running just in a lone window, not in a window on top a root.

so i guess the GsRedrawScreen() _is_ missing...

paul
 paul fox, ####@####.#### (arlington, ma, where it's 66.9 degrees)