nanogui: pixmap buffer patch!

Subject: Re: pixmap buffer patch!
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Aug 2002 19:25:10 -0000

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:20:18AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> Now, the bad news - the semaphore adds another couple levels of
> complexity to the issue, and in order to do it correctly, we will need
> to include processor specific assembly language to handle the atomic
> read/write operations.  This is assuming, of course, that we choose
> not to use an 3rd party library.

I would discourage this choice.  all locking operations should either
stick with a specific third-party API (pthreads, for instance,) or be
turned into macros / inline functions so whatever is available can be
plugged in.

there is no need to re-invent the wheel when it comes to locking
primitives.  you'll end up duplicating code, and giving yourself
maintenance headaches.

> So in order to increase our performance and control over the shared
> framebuffer, we are going to have to take a slight hit in our
> portability, at least in the near term (until we get a reasonable
> library with all of the needed assembly for our most popular
> processors).

if you go the macro / inline route, the default could be empty
operations, which leaves the portability situation no better or worse
than it currently is.

> Having said all this, I vote that we go ahead and add the code.
> Having a good internal semaphore system would be useful both now, and
> in the future (and it would really make the RTOS guys happy).

pluggable mutex code would make me happy.  RTEMS already provides
locking primitives with optional pthreads API, even.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  ####@####.####