nanogui: NanoGUI palette model

Subject: Re: NanoGUI palette model
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Sep 1999 18:04:43 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
To: 'Vidar Hokstad' ####@####.####
Cc: ####@####.####
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 1:24 PM

> I agree.  #defining TRUECOLOR isn't implemented, really, I just
> stuck it in to point to where the work is needed.  Let's implement as you
> suggest, we can't assume that COLORVAL==PIXELVAL.  I suggest
> adding another entry in the scrdev structure that indicates the way that
> the hardware PIXELVALs are packed, and the devdraw.c code can pack
> them according to the enum: PACKED15, PACKED16, PACKED24, PACKED32,
> or any other crazy format.

That info is already available from a frame buffer device.

> You're right.  Ultimately, I suggest *not* using palette indexes in
> application programs.  I only added it so that you _can_ have it if you
really
> want it, _and_ know what hw you're running on.  Normally, all apps,
including
> widgets, should use RGB schemes only.  This means that we should have
> a separate color definition file for BLACK, BLUE, WHITE, etc.  --OR-- we
> always use F_PALINDEX colors by reading their RGB entry from the linked
> in devpalX.c, and then use the above algorithm.

I think palettes are an option you can't always count on.

I much prefer the idea that applications and widgets always use RGB, with
standard 8 or 16 colors defined BLACK, BLUE, WHITE, etc. guaranteed to be
available if physically possible.

> : What I'm suggesting is only that if TRUECOLOR is defined that we get the
> : RGB value from the palette if F_PALINDEX is set, so that palettes
(including
> : user defined) work on truecolor displays too.
> :
> OK.  - I agree.

This make senses to me too, although I hope ppl don't need to use it.

Regards,
Brad