nanogui: Request for comments - Microwindows

Subject: Re: Request for comments - Microwindows
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 1999 18:44:59 -0000

What you suggest is brilliant IMO.  I recommend to go ahead with your ideas.

Only two comments, both about the licensing:

1) I would prefer *GPL over MPL.

2) I'm fine with LGPL, but I would like to see GPL in here somewhere if
feasable.

I was thinking, how about using GPL for server layer(s), and LGPL for client
layer(s)?  I think that as long the client and server are separated by a
messaging protocol it will work.

The nice thing about this is that it provides that all server code (e.g.
drivers) will be free (open-source) - which seems like a Good Thing to me.

However, it does appear to kill the static model, but ONLY FOR NON-FREE
ROGRAMS.  Free programs could still use the static model just fine, and
non-free programs could still use the client/server model, since the client
side is LGPL.

Comments?

Regards,
Brad