nanogui: mouse event handling, kinda generic X question

Subject: mouse event handling, kinda generic X question
From: tj ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2004 15:18:42 +0100

I learned from Greg Harrr theat in X an mouse event is sent to all
windows the mouse is over, even if the window is covered by another
window at the click point.

My question is how is it determined by the bottom window that the mouse
event may have "passed through" other windows already?
Lets say the window A is partially coverd by window B and you set a
variable that says B has focus. Now a click over B sends event to B and
then to A, who checks the  focus variable and see he does not have focus
and ignores it. But, if you click over A outside of B, how does A know
that it was really meant for A? Focus variable would still be B.

I know I know, use nanwm and let it worry about it. But, I'm very
curious about this point.

tj