nanogui: Request for comments - Microwindows

Subject: RE: Request for comments - Microwindows
From: "Vidar Hokstad" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 1999 19:25:24 -0000

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:03:01 -0600 you wrote:
>: Can you say what it is in *GPL that would make it unworkable for Screen
>: Media?
>:
>:: This is an idea, but why?  Doesn't MPL completely kill any GPL benefit?
>Why
>: would someone choose to use it under GPL when they can use it under MPL?
>:
>
>I think it's clear that we can't go with just GPL.  So the issue
>now is whether we should go with MPL or LGPL.  Both permit proprietary
>code to be linked with the project.  Is there a significant benefit to MPL
>that LGPL doesn't have?

The MPL allow static linking without releasing object code. It also allows
non-free additions to the project (read: drivers for hardware where specs
are only available under NDA), as long as they are in separate files.

The embedded and small systems market is special enough that both of those
issues can be fairly important.

I don't think we would be able to live with the whole code licensed under
the LGPL, but if the client code for the networked version is dual
licensed LGPL/MPL, and the rest is under LGPL, then that would be something
we could live with.

Regards,
Vidar