nanogui: Rotated fonts on microwindows?

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Rotated fonts on microwindows?
From: Steven Scholz ####@####.####
Date: 24 Aug 2004 09:58:43 +0100

Greg Haerr wrote:

> : I have to admit that I don't (yet) understand all these internals.
> : But does that mean that I won't be able to have rotated fonts with
> microwindows?
> : I realy need them as I want to put text on some diagrams...
>
> If the helv08R.pcf.gz is already rotated, then it should work.  This
> depends on whether you're running the version of Microwindows
> that I fixed some .pcf problems on (check top of ChangeLog)

I bet I was talking rubbish! After using xfontsel I guess that the "R" in
helv08R.pcf.gz has _nothing_to do with "rotated"! It probably means "regular".

> If the font is not already rotated, then you'll need to use an external
> program to rotate the fonts before using Microwindows to display
> them normally.

Well. As I understood the package "xvertext" is used "for rendering rotated
text in an X window". So maybe we can include some functionality into the nxlib?

How else could I rotated a text? I could create a pixmap, draw my string in
it, create another pixmap and then rotate the string by copying pixel by
pixel. And finally somehow display the later pixmap. Problem here seems to
be that the pixmap has to have the same colordepth as the underlying
hardware. So I might have to copy 1bpp font data into a 16bpp pixmap... :-(
Is that right?

Maybe we could realy include some simple functions from "xvertext" into
nano-X and nxlib. It is probably easier to implement it in nano-X directly,
since somehow your nano-X font engine already handles different color depths...

--
Steven