nanogui: keeping the project alive

Subject: Re: [nanogui] keeping the project alive
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2005 09:19:23 +0100

Jordan Crouse wrote:
>  > Greg, if you are too busy to keep on this work, I'd like to put the
>  > nanogui sources with these and other patches at sourceforge or
>  > somewhere else.
> Well, as far as that goes, you really don't need Greg's permission.  THe
> code is fully open sourced.  If you are willing to going to the effort
> to maintain a living tree on Sourceforge and to play the role of
> administrator then I say go for it.  If at some time in the future, Greg
> wishes to revive the current Nano-X infrastructure, he can borrow back
> what you have done and continue on in the normal way.  Or possibly he
> would move to join you on Sourceforge.  Either way, the important thing
> is that the code lives on.

FWIW I would welcome a fork created by somebody who actually has the
time and motivation to pick up the development effort and run with it,
and I would be happy to continue running the mailing list for the project.

I would also be willing to host a Subversion tree and make webspace
available etc. for the project on one of my servers. Unfortunately I no
longer have time to help out with the development itself.

I hope Greg doesn't think I'm trying to slag him off here, but it seems
to me that the main thing which has held the project back for so long is
that he set himself up as a bottleneck through which all patches had to
flow, refusing myself and other main developers write access to the CVS
repository because he didn't trust anybody else not to introduce bugs.
So when greater priorities came along and he didn't have time to merge
stuff himself, development ground to a halt.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/ ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer