nanogui: Microwindows cleanups .... some ideas

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Microwindows cleanups .... some ideas
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2005 03:48:28 +0100

 > I don't find 'make menuconfig' particularly exciting (and once you
 > want to maintain a number of different configurations, it gets about
 > zero-useful).

Its not the 'menuconfig' part of kconfig that is interesting, its the
configuration file.  And for multiple configurations, it actually does
turn out to be a life saver.  I offer up as evidence busybox and uclibc,
two very popular embedded projects that use kconfig to great success.
In a build system like OpenEmbedded, the same busybox source is used by
about a dozen different different platforms, each tossing in their own
particular config file.  Plus, kconfig offers us conditionals and other
fun stuff (so that if you choose Ipaq, only Ipaq-centric devices will be
available).

Anyway, thats what I think.  Throughout my career working with the
Nano-X tree, I've come close to implementing this a few times, but Greg
wasn't very thrilled by it.  However, we did use kconfig for some
version of Pixil which I personally think worked out great.

One of the more pressing issues, though, is getting rid of the absolute
paths, and the recursive makes, which drives OpenEmbedded nuts.  If
we're going to use outside packages (libpng, ft2, etc) then we need to
start embracing the dark side of pkgconfig and other such evil yet
useful tools.

Jordan