nanogui: Mailing list issues

From: Jason Kingan ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2005 18:04:19 +0100

On Apr 20, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Alex Holden wrote:

> Jason Kingan wrote:
>> I've found the root cause of the problem with Greg and I both being
>> "removed." Apparently Spam Assassin, beginning late on the 18th
>> started
>
> I did say to Greg earlier this afternoon that he hadn't been
> unsubscribed.

Unfortunately, he probably didn't see that message either. Everything
from linuxhacker.org was being dumped as spam.

>> blocking messages due to the mail server at linuxhacker.org being
>> hosted on a dynamic IP and DHCP-assigned machine (is it?) The SA
>> headers from a
>
> Nope. I have a block of static IPs.

Good.

>>  4.4 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR    Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname
>> (IP addr 1)
>
> The HELO is set to "dsl-62-3-116-153.zen.co.uk" which is correct
> because it matches the default reverse lookup for the IP address (I've
> never had a good reason to change it from the default). It sounds like
> the Spamassassin developers have been a bit overzealous in deciding
> that certain hostnames are more likely to be spam sources than others.
> I'll get my ISP to change the reverse lookup to a name of my own
> choosing; that should hopefully work around this dodgy rule.

Yes - getting them both set to linuxhacker.org if possible would be the
best thing. I've also found that in most cases setting HELO to be the
domain name (regardless of rev DNS) seems to make things run smoother.
My personal domain was changed to be like this a couple of years ago
because of similar problems. Cleared right up when I did this. Don't
know if that's the "correct" thing to do, but it certainly cured my
blocked mail issues.

Thanks,
Jason