nanogui: re:

Subject: re:
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 08:50:07 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> As this thing is called Nano-X, it should stay nano. If you can keep up
> with a modular approach, this is okay, but please don't include features
> that aren't removable afterwards.
> The windowmanager should be modular, too. For example one windowmanager
> for big displays with borders and titlebars, and one windowmanager for
> PDAs, where only one window stays in front.

I agree. It'd be nice to have one which has a similar feature set to the
better X ones (multiple desktops, iconisation, toolbars, menus when you
right click on the desktop, background graphics, etc.), and one which has
a similar feature set to EPOC for PDAs where space is limited. The latter
would have to also be controllable entirely from the keyboard, for where a
touchscreen/pad is unavailable or inconvenient.

> In about 2 weeks I gonna start to do a toolkit upon this little thingy,
> except someone else has already started one ... ?

I don't think they have. Were you thinking of starting from scratch or
porting something like GDK to it? Several new features will need to be
added to nano-X before a GDK port could be completed.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :