nanogui: nxterm

Subject: Re: [nanogui] nxterm
From: Yan Seiner ####@####.####
Date: 28 Sep 2005 20:37:31 +0100

Greg Haerr wrote:

>: ELKS (Linux 8086) has a fairly complete vt52 emulator for the console
>: that is GPL and tightly coded (VT100 is too big for 64K split I/D).
>
>Definitely a time saving idea.  You could likely yank the VT52 processing
>out and insert it into nxterm.  It would be nice if nxterm could remain
>dual licensed GPL & MPL, however.

I've looked at that code....

 From my perspective, there are a few issues with using an accurate VT52
emulation...

 From my reading of the docs, the original VT52 didn't have any way to
do highlighting, colors, etc.  I need this capability, so I wanted to
use Atari's ST52 - but that appears slightly broken as well....  At
least it does things like it won't turn off the reverse video, and so on.

So for now, and to move my project forward, I've set up a new terminal
definition, ngterm (there already is an nxterm in termcap) which
addresses all of these issues, and works (at least for what I need it to
do....)

It's not a complete fix, but it moves nxterm forward towards a more
complete and functional terminal emulation.  I don't have the time to
rewrite nxterm the way it should be done....

I've got a few more wrinkles to fix, but I should be able to send Greg a
patch later this week.

Big fat warning:  I'll do what I can to preserve cross-OS compatibility,
but I don't have *BSD or any OS other than linux to test on....  So
before it gets out in the wild, please test on other platforms....

--Yan