nanogui: Thread: NanoX version 0.3 released

[<<] [<] Page 5 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Alan Cox ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 11:39:12 -0000

> Consider supporting more than one font pr. file, and mmap()'ing the file
> instead of allocating memory for it, and reading it in. For those of us

But the font is in the server.

> most other things too: the more cases where mmap() can be used over
> malloc()'ing some memory and reading in a file, the better it will
> generally be for the minimum required memory footprint.

The only thing to watch there is that mmap isnt available on all platforms
(eg Linux 8086)

From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 11:43:58 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:

> 	You might want to send Ben this code...

Will do as soon as I get home today...

> 	In order to draw quickly, the font data really should be decompressed
> so that the low-level font code isn't dealing with having to deal with it.  This would
> allow the font code to be "side-attached" to alot of other's lower level driver
> code, without all the driver writers having to worry about all sorts of font complications
> (which, along with color mgmt, which we haven't talked about, can consume years
> of one's life...)

What I was thinking about wasn't any type of funky advanced compression
algorithm. I still think there's a few optimizations I can do that won't
add much size to the font handling code, but that could shrink fonts
without any noticeable slowdown.. I have some ideas I'll be testing
tonight.

> 	I like the idea of multiple fonts per file.
>
> 	In regards to mmap(): operating systems that support mmap() are already
> using alot of ram.  I don't think that nanoX with any number of fonts is going
> to exceed the ram in machines running mmap().

The problem isn't that nanoX + fonts exhaust ram... But when you're
running Mozilla etc., every byte count. And when you already have the data
in flash, using mmap() is a very simple way of reducing the amount of
non-pageable data (since we don't have anywhere to place a swap
partition). For our use, we'll be mmap()'ing almost everything because of
that.

> 	At the mid-level, I can't assume the OS supports mmap().

You won't have to. I could write a small wrapper function for you to load
a file that use mmap() if it is supported, and that use malloc() and
read's the file into memory if mmap() isn't supported. We're talking <10
lines of code.

Regards,
Vidar

> > Consider supporting more than one font pr. file, and mmap()'ing the file
> > instead of allocating memory for it, and reading it in. For those of us
>
> But the font is in the server.

Now it is, but Greg mentioned that Ben is adding support for loading extra
fonts.

> > most other things too: the more cases where mmap() can be used over
> > malloc()'ing some memory and reading in a file, the better it will
> > generally be for the minimum required memory footprint.
>
> The only thing to watch there is that mmap isnt available on all platforms
> (eg Linux 8086)

I know, but in that case we could just malloc() a memory section, and read
the file into it. Of course neither would be good alternatives if you
store fonts in a format that require processing when you read it in, but
the format BOGL uses now is easy to modify so that isn't necessary.

Regards,
Vidar