nanogui: Thread: What needs doing on Nano-X

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: What needs doing on Nano-X
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 12:43:29 -0000

The source to David's world atlas viewer is now at:
http://linuxhacker.org/pub/nanogui/nano-X/
http://linuxhacker.org/pub/nanogui/nano-X/
ftp://linuxhacker.org/pub/nanogui/nano-X/
ftp://linuxhacker.org/pub/nanogui/nano-X/

Unfortunately, it appears that the dreaded bit-rot has set into Nano-X
rather badly, and a lot of things want cleaning up. In particular, David
mentioned that the server's header file is included in the main header
file, which it shouldn't be. Removing the inclusion revealed that the main
header file has a million and one dependencies on the server header, when
it shouldn't have any. Also various variables and type definitions have
had their names shortened, for example GR_SCREEN_INFO has become
SCREENINFO and GR_FONT_INFO has become FONTINFO, and both have been moved
into the server's header file. Really, the structure definition should be
in the main header file, and only a declaration of an instance of the
structure should be in the server header file. Also, various things which
were typedef'd previously aren't any more. Also, I don't like the obsolete
8*3 file name limitations caused by the DOS port. Really, they should be
full, descriptive names with 8 unique characters at the start of the name
(or use seperate directories, eg. instead of mou_dos.c and mou_gpm.c we
could have mouse/dos.c and mouse/gpm.c). Also, I think it would be a good
idea to put all of the configurable things in a config.h header file
instead of the Makefile. I also think it would be a good idea to put the
client library in a seperate directory to the server code. I'd also like
to integrate David's more advanced client/server code once he sends it to
me. A lot of things could do with commenting better too.

I won't have the time to do much (if any) work on Nano-X until after
Monday, but I should be able to spare a day or two after then if nobody
else volunteers to do the big tidy-up.

Looking further ahead, Reintegrating the latest Bogl code, writing a
SVGALIB driver, documenting the various APIs, porting GDK, porting or
creating a smaller widget set for embedded applications, writing (or
porting from W) a terminal emulator, and creating a window manager all
need doing too. It would be nice if people would volunteer for specific
jobs. I volunteer to do the documentation (since I seem to be a bit
strange for a hacker in that I actually like writing documentation). Ben,
could you possibly do the reintegration of your code? I'd like to do a
window manager, but haven't decided 100% yet.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :