nanogui: Thread: David Bell

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: David Bell
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 09:43:36 -0000

I just got a nice message from David Bell (the author of Mini-X), who had
seen Nano-X on Freshmeat and was surprised to see it contained his code ;)

Seemingly we don't have the latest version of his code, as he described a
much better way of doing the client/server interface than I implemented,
and then asked why I had dumped that in favour of a less advanced
method... Anyway, he is going to send me his latest version of the code.

He has a website at http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~dbell/, and his email
address is ####@####.####

Also, he gave me a pointer to a cool Mini-X program which displays a map
of the world, and lets you zoom on portions, move around it, etc. It's in
the form of a set of uuencoded email attachments, so I'll extract it and
put a tarball up on LinuxHacker for people to take a look at. Hopefully it
should be able to be made to work without too much difficulty, and perhaps
could be included as part of the collection of demonstration clients.

I also asked him what he thought about the licensing issue, I'll let you
know when I get a reply.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

Great!  I've been incredibly impressed with David's original work.

I will make the worldmap program run on nanoX, and I'd like to see any more
sample mini-x programs that anyone may have.  I think I've got a version
of nano-X (v0.5) that will run any original mini-x programs with all
api's implemented.  (AND and OR drawing modes are still not done...)

Greg