nanogui: Thread: Microwindows plans

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Microwindows plans
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Oct 1999 00:42:42 -0000

Now that I've got a palm PC booting Linux, I've had a chance to understand alot more about
what's happening with the hardware/software on these devices.  I think the first step for the
graphics engine, MicroWindows, is twofold:  support for the win32 platform needs to be
based around the Win32 CE subset, which is no problem, and adding Xlib support so that
the GTK+/Gdk tools can run on top of it.

    There's quite a bit of work no matter which way we go, but MicroWindows is alot farther
on the win32 CE front.  CE drops quite a bit of win32 functionality and we could allow
winCE programs to be compiled for the microwindows/linuxCE system and run without
too much modification.  There are quite a few custom controls to write, however.

    On the Xlib front, I'm going to start studying the GTK+/Gdk implementation and see
how much work would be required to get that to run on top of MicroWindows.  Perhaps
that should be called MicroX, unless we want to change the nano-X api.

I'd be interested in hearing which API's are more interesting, and whether many people
have programs already written that would like to be ported.

Greg