nanogui: Thread: Microwindows font needed - terminal 8x12

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Microwindows font needed - terminal 8x12
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 18 Oct 1999 18:05:01 -0000

I have completed work this weekend by adding full-blown bitblitting
to Microwindows.  To celebrate, other than now having the 3d demo
not flicker, I decided to write a scrolling terminal emulator, which
requires bitblit for the scrolling.

So we now have another microwindows demo, which can be convieniently
used to actually run programs from within microwindows.  (no, I didn't
finish the escape sequence processing, nor do I yet implement running
new programs in a window, but I will).  A screenshot is available at

	ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwindows/ScreenShots/microwin3.gif

Anyway, as you may know, we've written a utility that allows Windows fonts
to be used, providing you have a Windows license.  The windows terminal
font (8x12) looks _much_ nicer than the font I'm currently using (8x8), so
I'm wondering if anyone has any nice terminal fonts they'd like to contribute,
or are already open source.  Please send comments.

Greg

You may also choose to consider using FPU to do copying 80 bits at a time
:).  This is something that is _possible_ even on 8088/8086 machines w/an
8087 and compatible on x86's w/FPU.  I believe Paul Hsieh of clax also
mentioned that MMX memcpy work well when carefully aligned but that would
be out of the scope of ELKS's goal.  However, a 80 bit memcpy on a 286/386
could produce a significant boost in speed.

Louis

"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his a$$ when he hopped!"
                          - Red Foreman of That '70s Show

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:

> I have completed work this weekend by adding full-blown bitblitting
> to Microwindows.  To celebrate, other than now having the 3d demo
> not flicker, I decided to write a scrolling terminal emulator, which
> requires bitblit for the scrolling.
>
> So we now have another microwindows demo, which can be convieniently
> used to actually run programs from within microwindows.  (no, I didn't
> finish the escape sequence processing, nor do I yet implement running
> new programs in a window, but I will).  A screenshot is available at
>
> 	ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwindows/ScreenShots/microwin3.gif
>

> Anyway, as you may know, we've written a utility that allows Windows fonts
> to be used, providing you have a Windows license.  The windows terminal
> font (8x12) looks _much_ nicer than the font I'm currently using (8x8), so
> I'm wondering if anyone has any nice terminal fonts they'd like to contribute,
> or are already open source.  Please send comments.
>
> Greg

> mentioned that MMX memcpy work well when carefully aligned but that would
> be out of the scope of ELKS's goal.  However, a 80 bit memcpy on a 286/386
> could produce a significant boost in speed.

On a 386/pentium/ppro the rep movs functions are the fastest. They are
specially fast-pathed on the CPU.

Alan

> Anyway, as you may know, we've written a utility that allows
> Windows fonts to be used, providing you have a Windows license.
> The windows terminalvfont (8x12) looks _much_ nicer than the
> font I'm currently using (8x8), so I'm wondering if anyone has
> any nice terminal fonts they'd like to contribute, or are already
> open source.  Please send comments.

Spec. it. I'll write it (again).

	-Darran

--
 Darran D. Rimron            European Research & Development Manager
Real Data Services, 117-119 Marlborough Road, Romford, Essex, RM7 8AR
> > Windows fonts to be used, providing you have a Windows license.
> > The windows terminalvfont (8x12) looks _much_ nicer than the
> > font I'm currently using (8x8), so I'm wondering if anyone has
> > any nice terminal fonts they'd like to contribute, or are already
> > open source.  Please send comments.
>
> Spec. it. I'll write it (again).

XFree has some basic 6x8, 8x8 etc fonts, and also the Digital VT100
terminal font, which - if you have enough pixels - is a delight.

Those are all under the X license

Alan