nanogui: Thread: Web browser ported to Microwindows

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Web browser ported to Microwindows
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 1999 20:18:31 -0000

I'm happy to announce that I've just heard that Opera Software has
just ported their fully functional web browser to Microwindows!
They have sent me a screen shot, which I will post.  The port
uses the Nano-X API, and runs in client/server mode.  Full
color support, palette mapping, jpeg and gif image and font
support is working, as well as transparent images.  It actually
works!

I will be rearchitecting the client/server networking code shortly,
as the browser is running a bit slower than it should.  I'm sure this
is because of the extreme handshaking occuring for each parameter,
which causes excessive context switches for any i/o.

The total size of the browser codefile is 667k, much, much smaller
than most web browsers.  This means that it's possible that Opera
could port the software to any of the newer palmtop or LinuxCE
[MIPS, StrongARM or SH3] devices for browser access, since
Microwindows now runs on these processors.

For more information on Opera Software, see www.opera.com.

Greg

> I'm happy to announce that I've just heard that Opera Software has
> just ported their fully functional web browser to Microwindows!
> They have sent me a screen shot, which I will post.  The port
> uses the Nano-X API, and runs in client/server mode.  Full
> color support, palette mapping, jpeg and gif image and font
> support is working, as well as transparent images.  It actually
> works!
>
> The total size of the browser codefile is 667k, much, much smaller
> than most web browsers.  This means that it's possible that Opera
> could port the software to any of the newer palmtop or LinuxCE
> [MIPS, StrongARM or SH3] devices for browser access, since
> Microwindows now runs on these processors.
>
> For more information on Opera Software, see www.opera.com.

Whats the speed of microwindows like at the mo? any faster?
Has it made it to the psion 5 yet?

BTW: ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwin/readme.txt has a typo:

htpp:// ???

Luke(Boo) Farrar.

>Whats the speed of microwindows like at the mo? any faster?

It takes approx. a minute to load insanely strange pages like www.vg.no.
But that is because it does a LOT of resizing during loading.
This forces nano-x to refresh the whole screen and that takes a few seconds.

>Has it made it to the psion 5 yet?

I know the internal beta is released =)
the developement of it seem really good, expect release this year.

-RIchard