nanogui: Thread: Totally cool alpha blending is here with Microwindows

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Totally cool alpha blending is here with Microwindows
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Feb 2000 04:39:06 -0000

Yes, it is possible to keep up with Windows 2000 and
MAC OS X's coolest new features - translucent windows.
And now Microwindows has them.  For a preview, check
out this screenshot:

ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwindows/ScreenShots/Microwindows-alphabl
end.gif

This version requires programming on the part of the application
window.  Soon, you can just set a window style bit.  All of the
alpha blending (implemented as a blit opcode) can be compiled
out if desired.

That looks really cool.  So out of curiosity, what happens when drawing
occurs in a window that is "obscured" by a transparent window?

- Ben.

Ben Williamson       ####@####.####     http://www.pobox.com/~benw/

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Greg Haerr wrote:

> Yes, it is possible to keep up with Windows 2000 and
> MAC OS X's coolest new features - translucent windows.
> And now Microwindows has them.  For a preview, check
> out this screenshot:
>
> ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwindows/ScreenShots/Microwindows-alphabl
> end.gif
>
> This version requires programming on the part of the application
> window.  Soon, you can just set a window style bit.  All of the
> alpha blending (implemented as a blit opcode) can be compiled
> out if desired.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

So we might need the "alpha" part in the colormap of the framebuffer
after all ?

but is there a update problem with the bottom window ?
And how do you update generaly , you will always have to redraw the
place
where the window was (all windows in the place) and where it goes, bit
different
than the normal window clipping.

- Erwin