nanogui: Thread: layers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: layers
From: Erwin Rol ####@####.####
Date: 6 Feb 2000 16:42:48 -0000

Hello All,

I am been thinking about the layers we have in the
GUI.

first layer the (OS dependend hardware interface) framebuffer.

second layer the drawwing functions like lines, dots, text etc.

thirth layer the windowing system

fourth layer the GUI toolkit

For small applications only layer 1 and 2 might be interesting.

So my question is , wouldn't it be a idea to split up micro windows
in two source tree's on that offers the general drawwing interface
to the framebuffer, X11, win32, hardware etc. that can be compiled
totaly seperate.

And one tree that deals with the windowing system, that tree can than be
totaly
device independed.

Mircowindows is already setup like that i guess , but it would in my
opinion
be nice to have them totaly seperated, that way the interfaces are more
clear
and one isn't forced to update the windowingtoolkit everytime there are
made new drivers.

- Erwin