nanogui: Thread: A few process-related questions about uWin vs. nano-X

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: A few process-related questions about uWin vs. nano-X
From: Steven Stadnicki ####@####.####
Date: 12 Apr 2000 01:15:05 -0000

Now that I have a barebones sample of Microwindows up and
running on our system (I was really rather amazed; after the screen
driver and very basic input drivers were put together it Just Worked)
I'm starting to take the steps towards making it 'production-quality' for
us.  In particular, one of our primary goals is to have multiple FLTK apps
up and running on the system.  To this end, I've got a couple of questions...

1) Has any thought been given on uWin side of things to things like a shared
library, application loaders, etc?  At the moment it seems like there can
only be one application actually running, though that application can open
as many windows as it would like.  Is this a pretty fair summary of the
situation?
Are there any plans for this to change or thoughts on the best way to go about

changing this?

2) Alternately -- as far as I understand, at least, currently the FLTK port is
only
targetting the Microwindows side of nanogui.  Is anyone working on a nano-X
port of FLTK, or is the expectation that gdk/gtk will fill things in
acceptably on
that side?  It seems as though nano-X has much better support for a
multiple-app
sort of model right now.

Any suggestions or thoughts other people have on this would be really
welcomed.
Thanks!

Steven Stadnicki
Equator Technologies, Inc.
####@####.####

: 1) Has any thought been given on uWin side of things to things like a
shared
: library, application loaders, etc?  At the moment it seems like there can
: only be one application actually running, though that application can open
: as many windows as it would like.  Is this a pretty fair summary of the
: situation?

I had some initial plans to add application loading capability to
Microwindows,
which would be alot easier than adding the client/server RPC marshalling to
every API entry point. I think we need to address and solve this problem
fairly soon.

: 2) Alternately -- as far as I understand, at least, currently the FLTK
port is
: only
: targetting the Microwindows side of nanogui.  Is anyone working on a
nano-X
: port of FLTK, or is the expectation that gdk/gtk will fill things in
: acceptably on
: that side?  It seems as though nano-X has much better support for a
: multiple-app
: sort of model right now.

Nano-X definitely has better support for a multiple-app model right now.
It would be fairly straight-forward to hack FLTK towards Nano-X from
win32.  Shane originally started the port to FLTK, but has been rather
silent on the port lately...

The other problem is that FLTK is very badly written in the OS-interface
area, and there's lots of kludgy code that's #ifdef'd all over the place
between X and Windows.  GTK+ uses GDK as the graphics device
interface layer and is very clean.