nanogui: Thread: Handwriting recognition on handhelds.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Handwriting recognition on handhelds.
From: Simon Wood ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jun 2000 08:33:35 -0000

I've been playing with writing a handwriting recognition program for Nano-x
and have had some success.

The code is far from complete but does function to the extent of recording
strokes and doing some simple translation of the 'point' sequence. When
finished the code will released GPL (it's just too messy at present to put
on general release).

This work is based on libstroke, scaling input character to 5 by 5 grid and
then outputs the sequence of 'cells'.

grid is:
	A	B	C	D	E
	F	G	H	I	J
	K	L	M	N	O
	P	Q	R	S	T
	U	V	W	X	Y

so AFKPU would represent a 'i' (or 'I' or '1' or '!' depending on mode)

I thought that this system would work best for a 'simplified' alphabet or
'graffiti' style characters. Any comments??

I'm now at the stage of recording the whole alphabet and I'm asking for
volunteers to offer time inputting characters in their own handwriting so
that I can get a range of styles..... email me directly if you're
interested.
Simon Wood