nanogui: Thread: (sorry) Handwriting recognition on handhelds.

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: (sorry) Handwriting recognition on handhelds.
From: Gaillard Pierre-Olivier ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2000 18:52:29 -0000

Hi,

Sorry about my former message, I forgot to correct the patent number :
The one I am concerned about is #5596656.
I learnt about it from the following text :

  This story has a bit of history from back in the days when U.S.
                   Robotics was not owned by 3Com. In early 1997, Xerox
sued USR
                   for patent infringement for their Palm Pilot graffiti
system claiming
                   USR swiped the concept from their patented Unistroke
recognition system.
                   When 3Com purchased USR, they inherited this lawsuit
which was suspended
                   in June of 1999. Today a judge lifted that suspension
which opens the door for
                   Xerox to pursue the suit. This could effect the
upcoming Palm Computing IPO
                   and possible force Palm to license the Unistroke
technology from Xerox if they
                   lose the case. Xerox developed Unistroke in 1993 and
were awarded patent
                   #5596656 in 1997.

You may also find more information on Smalltalk message list archives
(indexed by Google).

	Regards,

	P.O. Gaillard