nanogui: Thread: VNC with different servers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: VNC with different servers
From: George Harvey ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jul 2000 17:12:27 -0000

I have been running some tests with different VNC viewers and
servers and can confirm that you do see different behaviour
depending on whether you are connected to a VNC server running
on X or on Windoze. My test environment was:

Win32 VNC server 3.3.3r7 on Win95 on a Toshiba laptop with
  a 1024 x 768 256 colour display.
X VNC server 3.3.3r1 on NetBSD-Amiga 1.4.1.
X VNC viewer 3.3.3r1 on Slackware Linux 4.0 (486 PC).
Nano-X 0.88pre10 VNC viewer on uClinux on an Isicad Prisma,
  compiled using MWPF_PALETTE.
Nano-X 0.88pre10 VNC viewer on Slackware 4.0 with the X driver,
  compiled using MWPF_PALETTE and MWPF_TRUECOLOR0888.
Nano-X 0.88pre8 VNC viewer on Slackware 4.0 with the X driver.
  compiled using MWPF_PALETTE.

Win32 server
------------
X viewer:
  Wildly incorrect colours using default settings, these could
  be greatly improved using the '-bgr233' option.
  Background around mouse pointer flickers when mouse moves.
  Screen would sometimes fail to update, eg. when scrolling an
  image in IE5. Moving the mouse would update the regions under
  the cursor.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (PALETTE) on Prisma:
  Good colour rendition.
  Mouse flicker less noticable, probably due to slower mouse
  response.
  Screen update errors same as for X viewer.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (PALETTE) for X:
  Crashes as soon as connection established to server.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (TRUECOLOR0888) for X:
  Incorrect colours.
  Severe mouse flicker.
  Screen update errors same as for X viewer.
  Slow.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre8 (PALETTE) for X:
  Good colours.
  Severe mouse flicker.
  Screen update errors same as for X viewer.
  Slow.

X server
--------
X viewer:
  Incorrect colours using default settings, these could
  be greatly improved using the '-bgr233' option.
  Slight flicker on mouse moves but not as noticable as with
  the Win32 server.
  Sometimes failed to fully update the screen after mouse moves,
  eg. over the title bars of windows.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (PALETTE) on Prisma:
  Good colour rendition.
  Some mouse flicker.
  Leaves bits of the mouse pointer on screen after moving windows.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (PALETTE) for X:
  Crashes as soon as connection established to server.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre10 (TRUECOLOR0888) for X:
  Incorrect colours.
  Some mouse flicker.
  Leaves bits of the mouse pointer on screen after moving windows.
  Would sometimes crash when moving a window, error is:
  nano-X: fblin32.c:133: linear32_blit: Assertion 'h>0' failed.

Nano-X viewer 0.88pre8 (PALETTE) for X:
  Good colours.
  Some mouse flicker.
  Leaves bits of the mouse pointer on screen after moving windows.
  Would sometimes crash when moving a window, error is:
  nano-X: fblin8.c:148: linear8_blit: Assertion 'h>0' failed.

                      ----------------
Note:
I was running the Win32 server using the default settings, there
are a number of options, and registry tweaks, that can be
applied which might well fix the screen update problem.

My conclusions from all the above are that I need to add support
for BGR233 into the viewer to provide a common colour format
when working across different platforms. It also appears that
something changed between pre8 and pre10 which has broken the
X driver when compiled for MWPF_PALETTE.

Regards,
George