nanogui: Thread: Antwort: Re: Compiling MicroWindows under MSW

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Antwort: Re: Compiling MicroWindows under MSW
From: ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:47:29 -0000

>an MFC app to Linux (using wxWin). Among other things I'm interested
about
>the possibility of porting [a subset of] wxWindows to MicroWindows.

How powerful needs a Gui Lib to be, to fit under wxWindows? If X11 is not
powerful enough (too less basic widgets), can it run on top of nanoX or
Microwindows API?

Martin Döring, Systemtechnik (IDT)
MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG
Dachauerstraße 667
D-80995 München

Tel.:   +49(0)89 / 1580 - 1199
Fax:   +49(0)89 / 1580 - 91-1199
E-Mail: ####@####.####

Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Compiling MicroWindows under MSW
From: Julian Smart ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:56:58 -0000

At 12:48 PM 8/23/00 +0200, ####@####.#### wrote:
> >an MFC app to Linux (using wxWin). Among other things I'm interested
>about
> >the possibility of porting [a subset of] wxWindows to MicroWindows.
>
>How powerful needs a Gui Lib to be, to fit under wxWindows? If X11 is not
>powerful enough (too less basic widgets), can it run on top of nanoX or
>Microwindows API?

There are several future possibilities for wxWindows on MicroWindows:

1) using GTK+ widgets on X.
2) using WIN32 widgets.
3) using either X or WIN32 drawing primitives, but totally generic widgets
(a generic port is in early stages).

I suspect (1) might use too many layers to be practical within required
memory constraints, but I don't know. Solution (2) might be able to kill 2
birds -- MicroWindows and CE ports of wxWindows -- with one stone. Or
maybe, one and a half.

I don't yet know if wxWindows could fit within the memory constraints of a
MicroWindows device, but with a little paring, there's a good chance.

Regards,

Julian
--
Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS Tel: +44 (1223) 728763