nanogui: Thread: Microwindows PDA operating environment binary distribution available for iPAQ

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Microwindows PDA operating environment binary distribution available for iPAQ
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2000 05:46:47 -0000

Century Software Embedded Technologies is announcing a freely
redistributable binary distribution of our Microwindows based PDA
operating environment and toolkit for the iPAQ.  This distribution
provides a fully functional screentop, web browser, terminal emulator,
popup keyboard and handwriting recognition as the basis for
development and execution of other Microwindows-based graphics
applications for the iPAQ.

Screenshots are available at
ftp://embedded.centurysoftware.com/pub/ipaq/ScreenShots

The binary distribution is available in RPM format for both the
iPAQ itself and for x86-based Linux desktops running X11.  The
iPAQ binaries are downloaded onto the iPAQ using the serial
link and replace the original operating environment.  This package
is available at:
ftp://embedded.centurysoftware.com/pub/ipaq/ipaq-arm-bin-1.00-0.rpm

The desktop X11 binaries allow the evaluation and demonstration of
the entire iPAQ environment within a 240x320 window on the desktop
under KDE or Gnome.  This is accomplished using the Microwindows
X11 screen driver with all applications compiled for x86 rather than ARM.
This package is available at:
ftp://embedded.centurysoftware.com/pub/ipaq/ipaq-x86-bin-1.00-0.rpm

The Microwindows operating environment for the iPAQ includes the
following technologies:

The Microwindows Project graphical windowing environment,
including touchscreen calibrator, popup keyboard and handwriting
recognition, based on microwindows-0.89pre5. (http://microwindows.org)

The ViewML Project embedded internet browser, an HTML v3.2
compatible web browser with a 2Mb ram footprint, based on
viewml-0.18. (http://www.viewml.com)

The FLNX Fast Light Tool Kit widget set and libraries, based on
flnx-0.14. (http://www.viewml.com)

A specialized "ScreenTop" window manager, developed by Century
Software, handles the look and feel and operating environment for the
PDA.  The ScreenTop is customizable with a configuration
file that allows various directories to be searched and displayed as
icons, as well as specifying custom titles and icons for various
applications.  In addition, the ScreenTop handles the PDA taskbar
and controls the appearance of the applications on the display.

A set of applications including a terminal emulator, load monitor,
clock, battery monitor, backlight switch and date/time,
developed by Century Software.

We will be setting up a specialized mailing list to handle discussion
of this distribution, check out http://embedded.centurysoftware.com for
details.  Although this distribution is free, Century Software plans on
producing a commercially available, supported product in the near
future with enhanced documentation for less technical people to
develop embedded graphical software applications for PDAs and
webpads.

Check it out and have fun!