nanogui: Thread: Java2 ME (KVM) on Nanox working

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Java2 ME (KVM) on Nanox working
From: Robert Hartley ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2001 04:07:55 -0000

Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Robert Hartley wrote:
> > (BTW: I'm building Sun's KVM (J2ME) for a Helio on an X86  w/ Linux.  Last
> > night I got the sources patched so that it runs fine using NanoX on the x86.
> > Next step is to get it built for the PDA.)
>
> Sounds cool. Are you allowed to distribute the source, or is it one of
> those "members of the Sun development program only" types of things?

One of those click through licenses for the sources from Sun.

It means I cannot charge for the binaries either, which is OK with me.

(Anathema (sp) though it may be, nobody is obliged to share their sources for the
binaries they freely distribute, which I find curious.)

I can share it with anyone that says they already have agreed to the sources, so I
suppose anyone that says they have agreed to the licence can email me, and I will
send my diffs or a tar ball or something.

A number of people have asked for it, including one of the people at Sun who worked
on it (flattering I suppose), so I will have it publicly posted on a page somewhere
that has a button on it to aggree to the sun license... blah blah blah...you know
what I mean.  Point is that I am willing to freely share my work on this, including
the source I have modified.

For more info, I would take a look at www.kvmworld.com, where I found the patches
to make it work on Linux.

> Do the graphics and input parts work okay?

It seems to be working great on X11 and X11 hosted NanoX.  Porting the X11 bits to
NanoX was straight forward, since the source and docs are well done.

> I suspect decent Java support
> could be a Very Good Thing (TM) for Microwindows, as it fits in very
> nicely with the thin client information appliance ideal.

I quite agree.

I think Nanox is is just thin enough to be well performing, and thick enough to be
a really handy portable API.

KVM is supposed to be a limited JVM - no RMI, nor floats, nor beans.  :(  [But
since the source is there, we can add it.]

But for simple stuff, GUIs and comms, it looks like it is just the ticket for
hardware constrained devices like PDAs and mobile phones.

I have a whole bunch of ideas I think are cool which will be fun to work on, useful
to people, and will benefit from being on a portable platform.

Rob

=  Robert Hartley                 Mail:         201 Broadway        =
=  Central Region Systems Engineer              Cambridge, MA 02139 =
=  Integrated Computer            Email:        ####@####.####    =
=  Solutions, Inc.                Web Site:     www.ics.com         =
=  Tech Support: ####@####.####  Phone:        800-800-4271        =

Visit the MotifZone (www.motifzone.org) for info on Motif!