nanogui: Thread: Problem with CVS (windows)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Problem with CVS (windows)
From: "Luc Le Huerou-Kerisel" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2001 22:42:12 -0000

I try to access CVS (cvs.microwindows.org) but I am
(1) a newbie with that
(2) a *stupid* windows user so...
...let me explain all this.
I hope my questions (and your answers) will help Windows users to come
to open source. The more people the more fun.

Hereafter, I put a "$" in front of machine inputs and outputs and
a # in front of reported texts.

I first ran WinCvs (available at http://www.cvsgui.org/) but it did not
work immediately so I turned to basic command line method.

I got win32 cvs client (cvs1-11.zip) from www.cvshome.org
and  tried greg's description :
# export ####@####.####
# cvs login (password is guest)
# cvs co microwin
witch turn under windows in
&C:\WINDOWS>cvs -d ####@####.#### login
but this gave me the folowing error :
&(Logging in to ####@####.####
&CVS.EXE [login aborted]: could not find out home directory

so I looked for some docs and found http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/ :
#Getting pserver to work in Windows may require an extra step. Windows
#doesn't have the Unix concept of a home directory, so CVS doesn't know
#where to put the .cvspass file. You'll have to specify a location. It's
normal
#to designate the root of the C: drive as the home directory:
#C:\WINDOWS> set HOME=C:
#C:\WINDOWS> cvs -d ####@####.#### login
#(Logging in to ####@####.####
#CVS password: (enter password here)
#C:\WINDOWS>

So I set HOME=C:, like said, and try it again.
Note that [under windows too] a shortest way for the command line to CVS is
to put server name in the environment by
&C:\WINDOWS>set ####@####.####
and then
&C:\WINDOWS>cvs login
Hourra ! by this command I get
&(Logging in to ####@####.####
&CVS password:
so I input the "guest" password...
...  but after several long seconds this error message comes :
&CVS.EXE [login aborted]: connect to cvs.microwindows.org:2401 failed:
Connection
 &timed out

My internet [modem] connexion works correctly but ping to
cvs.microwindows.org
shows the same sort of result (I put the hole message here, in case someone
would find anything of interest; sorry it is *windows+french*)
&C:\WINDOWS>ping cvs.microwindows.org
&Envoi d'une requête 'ping' sur cvs.microwindows.org [166.70.186.59] avec
&32 octets de données :
&Délai d'attente de la demande dépassé.
[4 times]
&Statistiques Ping pour 166.70.186.59:
&    Paquets : envoyés = 4, reçus = 0, perdus = 4 (perte 100%),

english abstract : "cvs.microwindows.org" is translated to [166..etc...] by
DNS
and 32 bytes packets are sent 4 times. Each sent packet waits for a
response *but times out*. 100% loss.

So I deduce that server is located by DNS but unreachable ???

-- what's wrong ? could someone help me investigate ?

-- is there another CVS server I could try to reach ?

I don't use my usual connexion so please reply on the mailing list
Thanks a lot for your help.