nanogui: Thread: Non-clipping bitmap output

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Non-clipping bitmap output
From: Peter Dufault ####@####.####
Date: 26 Sep 2001 19:52:08 -0000

I'm trying to use a device at the other end of a serial line, so I'm
interested in enabling more acceleration for carefully restricted
applications.

I'd like to optimize the non-clipping text string case so that when
a text string is not clipped I can send a binary bitmap for that rectangular
region in a single operation.

Some work was started in a NOTUSED portion of gen_drawtext.  I'm going
to try to pick up on that.  Ideally I'd like to build the text string
bitmap "locally" and then use gen_drawbitmap to blast out the whole
string in one chunk, but for
starters I'll do the character at a time begun there.

Is there any further work on this?

Peter

--
Peter Dufault ####@####.####   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval
:
: Some work was started in a NOTUSED portion of gen_drawtext.  I'm going
: to try to pick up on that.  Ideally I'd like to build the text string
: bitmap "locally" and then use gen_drawbitmap to blast out the whole
: string in one chunk, but for
: starters I'll do the character at a time begun there.

Yes, building a single bitmap and drawing it once should speed things
up.  Just remember that the font engine allows different renderers,
so, to do this correctly, we may need an entry point that allows
the renderer to draw into a known location of a passed BITMAP.
Or, if the renderer supports string rendering, then the entire renderering
may have to happen at the lowest level.

:
: Is there any further work on this?

Not that I'm aware of.  Let me know how I can help.

: Peter
:
: --