nanogui: Thread: does flnx work when built with recent libs and compiler?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: does flnx work when built with recent libs and compiler?
From: Duncan Palmer ####@####.####
Date: 20 Sep 2001 14:11:53 -0000

Hi all,

I've been succesfully using flnx for ages, and have just rebuilt it, and
microwindows (to run under X) on a red hat 7.1 box to do a bit of
testing. Upon cranking up my application, i found that i did not
display, and neither do any of the apps in the test/ directory under
flnx - the microwindows demo apps run fine. By 'not display', I mean
that inside the microwindows box, all the widgets were correctly drawn
(i can click on buttons and the right stuff happens as a result), but
everything was black.

I gather that flnx came from a time when there was no such thing as a
C++ standard, and it has some odd code as a result - I had to remove the
definitions of pubseekoff() and pubseekpos() in streambuf.h in order to
get flnx to build. So, I was wondering whether maybe the newer C++
libraries or something may cause problems...

The red hat 7.1 box has libc-2.2.2 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.3 and g++/gcc
2.96, and  my usual development platforms (arm and x86) have libc 2.1.3,
libstdc++-6.1.
-2.3 and g++/gcc 2.95.3 . I'm using flnx 0.15 and microwindows-0.89-pre6
. Has anyone got flnx and microwindows built and running on such a
platform? Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

--
Duncan Palmer
####@####.####
You are using a very old version of FLNX that has issues with g++-2.96.
Basically, there is an uninitalized variable that gets assigned differently
than with prior versions of the compiler.

We have also made changes to help make FLNX more ANSI compatible.  The latest
tarball on the website should work, or you can grab the latest version from
CVS.

Jordan

On Thursday 20 September 2001 08:11, Duncan Palmer mentioned:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been succesfully using flnx for ages, and have just rebuilt it, and
> microwindows (to run under X) on a red hat 7.1 box to do a bit of
> testing. Upon cranking up my application, i found that i did not
> display, and neither do any of the apps in the test/ directory under
> flnx - the microwindows demo apps run fine. By 'not display', I mean
> that inside the microwindows box, all the widgets were correctly drawn
> (i can click on buttons and the right stuff happens as a result), but
> everything was black.
>
> I gather that flnx came from a time when there was no such thing as a
> C++ standard, and it has some odd code as a result - I had to remove the
> definitions of pubseekoff() and pubseekpos() in streambuf.h in order to
> get flnx to build. So, I was wondering whether maybe the newer C++
> libraries or something may cause problems...
>
> The red hat 7.1 box has libc-2.2.2 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.3 and g++/gcc
> 2.96, and  my usual development platforms (arm and x86) have libc 2.1.3,
> libstdc++-6.1.
> -2.3 and g++/gcc 2.95.3 . I'm using flnx 0.15 and microwindows-0.89-pre6
> . Has anyone got flnx and microwindows built and running on such a
> platform? Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
> You are using a very old version of FLNX that has issues with g++-2.96.
> Basically, there is an uninitalized variable that gets assigned differently
> than with prior versions of the compiler.
>
> We have also made changes to help make FLNX more ANSI compatible.  The latest
> tarball on the website should work, or you can grab the latest version from
> CVS.

time to upgrade then - thanks.