nanogui: Thread: compiling Microwin. for DOS...

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: compiling Microwin. for DOS...
From: Mlodzianowski Janusz ####@####.####
Date: 16 Oct 2001 09:13:35 -0000

Hi,
I am fairly new to microwindows so forgive me if I ask stupid questions..

I would like to compile Microwindows for pure, real mode DOS, using
Turbo/Borland compiler. My aim is to use Microwin for embedded applications.
There are DOS makefiles available. I have examined
both (TurboC and MSC) and found that each uses different source files to
compile demos.. I have managed to compile one demo, but  I am unable to
display any text.
My questions are as follows:
1. What files do the Microwindows consist of, what features are implemented by
particular files ?
I would like to write my own makefiles, build libraries and then use them
to link my code.. I would also like to avoid puting everything into one library
2. How far is WinAPI implemented?
I modified demo by adding MessagBox(NULL,"text1","text2", MB_OK) call.
The resulting code does not compile.. What about menus, toolbars etc.
I looked into docs but they cover mainly nanox.
I have some Win programs which I would like to port, but I am wondering now
whether it is at all possible.
I would appreciate your comments.
Janusz

: I would like to compile Microwindows for pure, real mode DOS, using
: Turbo/Borland compiler. My aim is to use Microwin for embedded applications.
: There are DOS makefiles available. I have examined
: both (TurboC and MSC) and found that each uses different source files to
: compile demos.. I have managed to compile one demo, but  I am unable to
: display any text.

Make sure that you set the environment variable CHARHEIGHT=14
or 16 before running the demo.  See the comments in src/drivers/scr_bios.c.
I suggest using v0.86 to start, it's fully tested on DOS.

: My questions are as follows:
: 1. What files do the Microwindows consist of, what features are implemented by
: particular files ?

Read the Architecture paper on microwindows.org, this is described there.

: I would like to write my own makefiles, build libraries and then use them
: to link my code.. I would also like to avoid puting everything into one
library

See the Linux makefiles for this, I built a quick set of MSDOS build .lnk
files, but you're certainly welcome to do it the right way for DOS.  Use
your systems library creation method, and include the libraries built
for Linux systems in the src/mwin, src/mwin/winlib, and src/mwin/fonts
directories.

: 2. How far is WinAPI implemented?
: I modified demo by adding MessagBox(NULL,"text1","text2", MB_OK) call.
: The resulting code does not compile.. What about menus, toolbars etc.

Mostly the lower level GDI.  Some custom controls are added, like
radio, button, checkbox, etc.  But no menus or toolbars. (Toolbar isn't
actually in Win32).  Also, dialogs aren't really in, you have to create your
own windows to do dialogs.  So it's really just the draw code stuff and
the win32 window mechanism, not all the stuff built on top of that.
However, the Wine project has some good code you might use to
implement stuff on top of the GDI.  (www.winehq.com)