nanogui: Thread: SetTop box Development [sorta an advert]

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: SetTop box Development [sorta an advert]
From: "Darran D. Rimron-Molloy" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2002 08:02:58 -0000

Ok,

Bush Internet.TV has gone bankrupt :) Only £17.9mil in debt. They have
an ABUNDANCE of kit left over (I think at the last count approx 30,000
units) at retailers across the UK - they were, the weekend past,
retailing at around £9.99 each at a TIme special, £19.99 at Toys'R'Us
with a Tenner mailback rebate, probably a few places on the net wanna
get rid of them too - have a google.

I got one, of course, and they will run Linux, a port is already
underway - I think they will make good setup boxen, apparently the
hardware alone lists at £200 cost, they are ARM based, 33k6 modem, PC
Style Parallel Port [D-Link-620 anyone?], Custom IR, and SCART ports and
contain, internally jumpers for 2 additional RS232 ports (on top of the
2 already in use), PS2 Kb & Mouse, IDE, Floppy, Gameport and probably
others I have forgotten etc, etc - They also come with an IR Keyboard &
Mouse-ish, albeit a crap one (you can buy a better one, apparently, am
yet to see it at a discount price - List ~£30, IIRC) and are currently
running a cutdown version of Ant & RiscOS. Finally, the innards of the
Cirrus Logic/ARM CPU used seems to be VERY well documented :)

Thought I woudl post a general "heads up" for people to keep an eye open
for, should they be interested....

Just thought of it as another ViewML/NanoX platform, that's why I bought
mine :)

	-Happy Hacking
	 Darran

> contain, internally jumpers for 2 additional RS232 ports (on top of the
> 2 already in use), PS2 Kb & Mouse, IDE, Floppy, Gameport and probably
> others I have forgotten etc, etc - They also come with an IR Keyboard &

The box I took apart you would need to be very very good at soldering to
fit those connectors.

> yet to see it at a discount price - List ~£30, IIRC) and are currently
> running a cutdown version of Ant & RiscOS. Finally, the innards of the
> Cirrus Logic/ARM CPU used seems to be VERY well documented :)

It seems to be a sawn of version of the acorn reference box for the 7500
series ARM