nanogui: Thread: GrRaiseWindow and top level windows

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: GrRaiseWindow and top level windows
From: David Muse ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2002 16:58:23 -0000

I have 2 microwindows applications running and I'd like either to be able to raise itself above the other when it catches a certain event.  I assumed that this was possible by calling GrRaiseWindow() on the top level window of the application.  By top level, I mean the window who's parent is GR_ROOT_WINDOW.

What I've found is that when an application calls GrRaiseWindow() or GrLowerWindow() on it's toplevel window, nothing happens.  If I call GrRaiseWindow() followed by GrSetFocus() on the top level window of the lower application, the window does indeed get focus, but does not raise.

Am I missing something?  Not catching an event or something?

Thanks,

David Muse
####@####.####
:
: What I've found is that when an application calls GrRaiseWindow() or
GrLowerWindow() on it's toplevel window, nothing happens.  If I call
GrRaiseWindow() followed by GrSetFocus() on the top level window of the lower
application, the window does indeed get focus, but does not raise.

Well, I'm sure that GrRaiseWindow works, since that's what the window manager
uses to raise the window.  However, you may not be aware that your original
window id is reparented by the window manager, and is no longer a direct
top-level window.  Instead, you must use the new "container" window
created by the WM.  Use GrQueryTree to get this window id.

If this isn't the case, if you send me a demo program, I'll help debug it.
Also, try running without the window manager.

>Well, I'm sure that GrRaiseWindow works, since that's what the window manager
>uses to raise the window.  However, you may not be aware that your original
>window id is reparented by the window manager, and is no longer a direct
>top-level window.  Instead, you must use the new "container" window
>created by the WM.  Use GrQueryTree to get this window id.

You should be able to call GrGetWindowInfo() and use the "parent" field
I think.