nanogui: Thread: nano-X goes black after about 5 minutes, GrSetScreenSaver doesn't seem to help any

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: nano-X goes black after about 5 minutes, GrSetScreenSaver doesn't seem to help any
From: Jim Lasswell ####@####.####
Date: 19 Oct 2002 00:30:31 -0000

Hi,

	I'm trying to debug this problem I've had for a while.  After about 5
minutes the lcd I'm running nano-X on goes kinda mostly black, there is
some reverse video so I can just make out the general shapes of the
buttons.  I'm assuming that this is probably some kind of a
screensaver?  This happens for the nano-X demo programs as well as for
my FLNX programs.

	I've tried calling GrSetScreenSaver from my FLNX program, but changing
it's parameter doesn't seem to change the blackout behavior.

	One Red Herring Note:  I noticed the GrSetScreenSaver function's
signature requests an unsigned long, but the docs suggest using a -1 to
disable the screen saver.  Is this some sort of 2's complement cheating
thing?

	Any Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

          .:':.
       .:'. . .':.
    .:'. . . . . ':.
 .:' . . . . . . . .':.
 ':. . . . . . . . . :'
    ':.  . . . .  .:'
       ':. . . .:'
          : . :  James Lasswell
          : . :
           : :   ####@####.####
           : :
            :    San Diego, CA
            :
            ;

Only Alex's launcher program uses the screen saver API, and
those don't blank the screen.  It sounds like you've got some
other problem, rather than Nano-X doing it.

Try running bin/mdemo, this is a single linked application
that will stay up forever.  If it doesn't work, your problem
is in some other area.  (Is there a system screensaver running?)

[...]
:           .:':.
:        .:'. . .':.
:     .:'. . . . . ':.
:  .:' . . . . . . . .':.
:  ':. . . . . . . . . :'
:     ':.  . . . .  .:'
:        ':. . . .:'
:           : . :  James Lasswell
:           : . :
:            : :   ####@####.####
:            : :
:             :    San Diego, CA
:             :
:             ;
: For additional commands, e-mail: ####@####.####
:

        I guess the way I set up the lcd823 driver for my kernel made it
so
that a 10 minute console blanking feature was enforced.  Since I also
have a custom keyboard driver, it never unblanked the screen.  To solve
the problem for now, I just set drivers/char/console.c blankinterval = 0
to disable the problem/feature.

Thanks,

Jim