nanogui: Thread: slowness of linedraw and < 100Mhz machines

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: slowness of linedraw and < 100Mhz machines
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Feb 2003 21:13:32 -0000

I just merged with 0.89 and found it necessary to pull up some local
line draw changes.  we had replaced the per-pixel clipping with
cohen-sutherland method and got over 100 times speedup.  unfortunately
the decided-upon dashed-line API ended up being a little different than
ours, and I'm still recovering from that, but I will produce patches
when that is completed.

I want to stir the hornet's nest a little and ask why nano-X's
performance in key areas like line and text draws is so pathetic.  is
everybody here running 100MHz+ CPUs where slow algorithms don't make a
difference?  we're saddled with a 25MHz 68331 and a SED1355 dumb frame
buffer with no DMA, but I can't be the only one with such meager
hardware working with nano-X.  or can I?

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  ####@####.####