nanogui: Thread: Touchscreen pointer disappearing when moved first time

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Touchscreen pointer disappearing when moved first time
From: tj ####@####.####
Date: 30 May 2004 02:23:08 +0100

After a long hard battle I finally got the nano-X cursor following the
pointing device. I had to change the x and y coordinates in
driver/mou_ucb1x00.c, 0.89, by adding the following code to the
PD_Read() function.

        temp = event.x;
        event.x = event.y;
        event.y = 1000 - temp;

This now got the cirsor actually following the input device instead of
being 90 degres out of "phase".

Cool say I and I move back to the cvs download to achieve the same
thing. But, trouble right off of the bat. When starting cvs nano-X the
cursor, ie arrow, did not even appear! I checked to make sure I had
TUXSCREENMOUSE = Y in config and then after several minutes of fussing
and fuming I find that
GdHideCursor(&scrdev);
had been added to the PD_Open() function in drivers/mou_touchscreen.c.
Why, I have no idea. So I removed it and added my "fix" code plus a
printf debug to once again make sure my adjusted coordionates are right
and rebuild.

Start the new nano-X and BINGO, I have the cursor. Then my joy is dashed
when I touch the screen to move it and check out my fix. It disappears
again. I suspect there isd another added GdHideCursor() someplace. If
that is it, where is it? My debug prints event coordinates that keep the
cursor in teh middle of the screen, but no cursor.

tj

: This now got the cirsor actually following the input device instead of
: being 90 degres out of "phase".

Is this code still required in CVS version?  You are running
in portrait mode, right?  The CVS code automatically swaps
x/y when in portrait L and R modes.

:
: Cool say I and I move back to the cvs download to achieve the same
: thing. But, trouble right off of the bat. When starting cvs nano-X the
: cursor, ie arrow, did not even appear! I checked to make sure I had
: TUXSCREENMOUSE = Y in config and then after several minutes of fussing
: and fuming I find that : GdHideCursor(&scrdev);
: had been added to the PD_Open() function in drivers/mou_touchscreen.c.
: Why, I have no idea.

Hmm.  That was added because the TuxScreen has a touch screen and
by default, showing a cursor wasn't desireable.  So commenting out the
GdHideCursor is the right thing.

: Start the new nano-X and BINGO, I have the cursor. Then my joy is dashed
: when I touch the screen to move it and check out my fix. It disappears
: again. I suspect there isd another added GdHideCursor() someplace.

Geez, you're having too much fun trying to get all this too work...  Check
by grepping for GdHideCursor in */*.c, there may be something in
nanox/srvmain, or in engine/devmouse.c.  I'd check myself but my
main Linux box just seems to have had a HD crash...  (it's also the
one running CVS, but I'll get it all back up shortly)

>: This now got the cirsor actually following the input device instead of
>: being 90 degres out of "phase".
>
>Is this code still required in CVS version?  You are running
>in portrait mode, right?  The CVS code automatically swaps
>x/y when in portrait L and R modes.

I tried with and without-L or -R and the cusor was always 90 degrees out
with actual pointer moevment. This is what the pointer movement vs
cursor movement is,whether landscape or portrait, without my fix.

movement   cursor
    +x            =   +y
     -x             =    -y
     +y            =    -x
      -y            =    +x

With my fix, the cusor moves with pointer in landscape or protrait mode.
Need to try -D once I get cvs leaving the mouse on the screen. To bad
the Boss doesn't feel that way.

>:
>: Cool say I and I move back to the cvs download to achieve the same
>: thing. But, trouble right off of the bat. When starting cvs nano-X the
>: cursor, ie arrow, did not even appear! I checked to make sure I had
>: TUXSCREENMOUSE = Y in config and then after several minutes of fussing
>: and fuming I find that : GdHideCursor(&scrdev);
>: had been added to the PD_Open() function in drivers/mou_touchscreen.c.
>: Why, I have no idea.
>
>Hmm.  That was added because the TuxScreen has a touch screen and
>by default, showing a cursor wasn't desireable.  So commenting out the
>GdHideCursor is the right thing.

I'll look there and see what I find. Actually, looking for all these
problems has taught me a lot about the code.

>: Start the new nano-X and BINGO, I have the cursor. Then my joy is dashed
>: when I touch the screen to move it and check out my fix. It disappears
>: again. I suspect there isd another added GdHideCursor() someplace.
>
>Geez, you're having too much fun trying to get all this too work...  Check
>by grepping for GdHideCursor in */*.c, there may be something in
>nanox/srvmain, or in engine/devmouse.c.  I'd check myself but my
>main Linux box just seems to have had a HD crash...  (it's also the
>one running CVS, but I'll get it all back up shortly)
>
>Regards,
>
>Greg

tj

Date: 30 May 2004 21:30:13 +0100

Another note, 0.90 tarball behaves the same way.

tj