nanogui: Thread: Framebuffer support

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Framebuffer support
From: Aveek ####@####.####
Date: 28 Dec 2005 11:08:16 +0000

Hi all,

        I have 'Fedora Core 3' installed in my machine and Video card in
my machine is 'S3 ProSavage KM133'. Now I want to work with
framebuffer. If I run 'fbset', it says :

[root@aveek ~]# fbset
open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
[root@aveek ~]#

I have checked in '/dev' that there is no special file called
'/dev/fb0'. So most probably kernel has no support for framebuffer.
To do that I need to recompile the kernel. Well, but I don't know
what to set in the in 'xconfig' for my Video Card 'S3 ProSavage KM133'.
        Can anyone tell me this and what to do next in order to
directly access framebuffer ?

Thanking you all,
Regards,
Aveek

: I have checked in '/dev' that there is no special file called
: '/dev/fb0'. So most probably kernel has no support for framebuffer.
: To do that I need to recompile the kernel. Well, but I don't know
: what to set in the in 'xconfig' for my Video Card 'S3 ProSavage KM133'.
:         Can anyone tell me this and what to do next in order to
: directly access framebuffer ?

Setting up linux fb is sometimes a pain.  You should google for
this and see what other sites say about kernel setup.  And yes,
you'll need to create /dev/fb0 yourself.  If you've got a newer
card, you can sometimes run basic VESA bios support,
rather than the sometimes painful process of getting the video
card driver selected.