nanogui: Thread: Can't open display error

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Can't open display error
From: "Martin Kajdas" ####@####.####
Date: 28 Dec 2005 16:25:58 +0000

Hello,

I am developing an embedded application with FLTK-1.1.6 and nano-X 0.92 and nxlib 0.45 on linux 2.6.13 with Adeos and RTAI extensions.
Everything works when working under X11.
Then I recompiled and moved everything into my embedded setup (PC motherboard (i386) with framebuffer) with busybox and no X11.
The linux starts properly, I setup my drivers and graphics mode, start nano-X and get an operating pointer cursor.
Initially, I had some problems with mouse initialization but I created some device links to mouse device and solved that.

But, when I start my application (FLTK based), I get: "Can't open display" error.

This must (?) be some simple setup (device?) issue but I do not know all the details.
This being an embedded system, I have to setup all of the devices myself.

Any help/questions are appreciated.
Martin
> I am developing an embedded application with FLTK-1.1.6 and nano-X 0.92
and nxlib 0.45 on linux 2.6.13 with Adeos and RTAI extensions.
Everything works when working under X11.
Then I recompiled and moved everything into my embedded setup (PC
motherboard (i386) with framebuffer) with busybox and no X11.

Remember, with NXLIB, you don't need to recompile any binaries.
All FLTK/X11 and application binaries can stay the same.
Of course, you replace libX11 with the NXLIB version, and
add the nano-X libs.

> The linux starts properly, I setup my drivers and graphics mode, start
nano-X and get an operating pointer cursor.
Initially, I had some problems with mouse initialization but I created some
device links to mouse device and solved that.

It would be nice if you could test your application on your desktop
system running framebuffer.  This is because NXLIB isn't a complete
replacement for X11, and there may (sounds like there are) issues.

> But, when I start my application (FLTK based), I get: "Can't open display"
error.

That sounds like an X11 lib error.  We say "Can't open graphics."  You
need to grep the NXLIB source for that error, to make sure you're
running the actual NXLIB replacement lib, not X11.