nanogui: Thread: Confused with SCREENDEVICE

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Confused with SCREENDEVICE
From: "Robbie" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Dec 2005 17:19:50 +0000

Hi All,
I have a bit of confusion with the SCREENDEVICE scrdev.
The file fb.c describes a SCREENDEVICE scrdev with several attributes, fb_mapmemgc for example. However, there is access to a scrdev.xvirtres but xvirtres is not in scrdev.?? Am I missing something here? Where is fb_mapmemgc calles?

Also, subdriver functions,where are they called? Say I use fblinear16, when or/and where are its functions called? Could someone help me clear this up?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

> I have a bit of confusion with the SCREENDEVICE scrdev.
> The file fb.c describes a SCREENDEVICE scrdev with several attributes,
fb_mapmemgc for example. However, there is access to a scrdev.xvirtres but
xvirtres is not in scrdev.??

That's incorrect, xvirtres is defined in the SCREENDEVICE structure,
see include/device.h.

>  Am I missing something here? Where is fb_mapmemgc calles?

The mapmemgc entry is typically called on driver init.  Grep for
calls to MapMemGC.

> Also, subdriver functions,where are they called? Say I use fblinear16,
when or/and where are its functions called? Could someone help me clear this
up?

The subdriver functions are called from the engine level, DrawPixel,
DrawLine, etc.  They are mapped to the subdriver entry points
with similar names.

Read the Architecture doc for more details.

From: "Robbie" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Dec 2005 04:25:18 +0000

You're correct. I did figure out what I was missing after I sent the email. I guessed I "spoke" too fast. Thanks though.

There is one thing that's bugging me and although I not sitting infont of the source, I think the names are pretty close if ot exact. What's the difference between RGB2PIXEL and COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? I could see where RGB2PIXELVAL comes in, but COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? They seem to be saying the same thing to me.

From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Dec 2005 19:00:03 +0000

> There is one thing that's bugging me and although I not sitting infont of
the source, I think the names are pretty close if ot exact. What's the
difference between RGB2PIXEL and COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? I could see where
RGB2PIXELVAL comes in, but COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? They seem to be saying the
same thing to me.

The two act the same when microwindows is compiled for a 32-bit
pixel size, MWPF_TRUECOLOR0888, which is the default.  They
change when a COLORVAL is 8 or 16 bits in length.  Study the
config file and the source for more details.

From: "Robbie" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jan 2006 16:23:58 +0000

This was taken from devdraw.c:

/**
 * Draw a color bitmap image in 1, 4, 8, 24 or 32 bits per pixel.  The
 * Microwindows color image format is DWORD padded bytes, with
 * the upper bits corresponding to the left side (identical to
 * the MS Windows format).  This format is currently different
 * than the MWIMAGEBITS format, which uses word-padded bits
 * for monochrome display only, where the upper bits in the word
 * correspond with the left side.
**/

What happened to 16bpp?

From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jan 2006 21:12:41 +0000

: This was taken from devdraw.c:
:
: /**
:  * Draw a color bitmap image in 1, 4, 8, 24 or 32 bits per pixel.  The
: **/
:
: What happened to 16bpp?

We had never supported 16bpp images before.  This
was because no image decoder decoded to 16bpp
MWIMAGEHDR format. (don't confuse this with
your HW framebuffer format, they're different).

I recently added 16bpp support in CVS, for 16bpp
565 and 555 .bmp files.

:  --- On Sat 12/31, Greg Haerr < ####@####.#### > wrote:
: From: Greg Haerr [mailto: ####@####.####
: To: ####@####.#### ####@####.####
: Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:01:51 -0800
:
: > There is one thing that's bugging me and although I not sitting infont
of
: the source, I think the names are pretty close if ot exact. What's the
: difference between RGB2PIXEL and COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? I could see where
: RGB2PIXELVAL comes in, but COLORVAL2PIXELVAL? They seem to be saying the
: same thing to me.
:
: The two act the same when microwindows is compiled for a 32-bit
: pixel size, MWPF_TRUECOLOR0888, which is the default. They
: change when a COLORVAL is 8 or 16 bits in length. Study the
: config file and the source for more details.
:
: Regards,
:
: Greg
: Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
: The most personalized portal on the Web!