nanogui: Thread: THREADSAFE

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: THREADSAFE
From: "Malin Andersson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Mar 2006 13:35:16 +0000

Hi Greg,

I have a little problem. I am trying to make a small nano-X application. I
have two threads - one sleeping inside GrGetNextEvent and one who is
trying to make the other wake up by calling GrInjectKeyboardEvent. I have
enabled THREADSAFE mode but this results in that  GrInjectKeyboardEvent is
blocked by LOCK(&nxGlobalLock), which is locked by the sleeping
GrGetNextEvent. Is it safe to run this without THREADSAFE mode? If not, is
there another way to make the GrGetNextEvent thread wake up?
Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,

Malin

Malin Andersson ####@####.####
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 5D, 224 64 Lund
telnr: +46 46 211 81 03, mobilnr: +46 70 330 72 59

Malin Andersson ####@####.#### ICQ: 45 79 33 79
Dag Hammarskjölds väg 5D, 224 64 Lund
telnr: +46 46 211 81 03, mobilnr: +46 70 330 72 59

: I have a little problem. I am trying to make a small nano-X application. I
: have two threads - one sleeping inside GrGetNextEvent and one who is
: trying to make the other wake up by calling GrInjectKeyboardEvent. I have
: enabled THREADSAFE mode but this results in that  GrInjectKeyboardEvent is
: blocked by LOCK(&nxGlobalLock), which is locked by the sleeping
: GrGetNextEvent. Is it safe to run this without THREADSAFE mode? If not, is
: there another way to make the GrGetNextEvent thread wake up?

It looks like you're going to have to run this without
THREADSAFE.  Both calls eventually call nxFlushReq,
which LOCKs the global lock again, so commenting out
the LOCK in GrInjectKeyboardEvent won't work.

I think you should be OK, since GrInjectKeyboardEvent only
sends data to the server, and never waits for a reply; this is
where the two could otherwise get unsynchronized.