nanogui: Thread: Troubles with distorted fonts, compiling, and "not yet implemented" crash

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Troubles with distorted fonts, compiling, and "not yet implemented" crash
From: Nick Bishop ####@####.####
Date: 13 Dec 2006 07:02:58 +0000

Hi Greg and others,

I started out with a program using Freetype 1.3.1,
microwindows 0.90, nxlib 0.45, fltk 1.1.6, and a
little test program, cross-compiled to run under Linux
on power PC using MontaVista 3.1 cross-compile tools.

The problem was, that the truetype fonts were being
displayed distorted, especially italic (and
bold-italic) versions.  This applies to several
truetype fonts from different sources.

The next thing I did was to recompile fltk 1.1.6 and
my program for a normal X server on Linux/Intel
(dropping out nxlib and below), and they displayed
well.

FIRST STAB
==========
I upgraded Freetype to 2.1.3 (and also tried 2.1.7).
Result: compiled OK, but when it came to displaying a
truetype font, it crashed with a "Not yet implemented"
message for the function linear16_drawarea(PSD psd,
driver_gc_t * gc, int op).

SECOND STAB
===========
I upgraded Microwindows to 0.91, but when I linked my
test program, the cross-compiler said
../nxlib/libX11.so: undefined reference to
`GrMoveResizeWindow'
Now, I see that between 0.90 and 0.91 the
GrMoveResizeWindow function was taken out, and the
not_implemented() function calls were taken out.
Taking out the not_implemented() calls was good, but
taking out the GrMoveResizeWindow wasn't so good.

I think I've already got the latest version of nxlib
0.45, but that relies on GrMoveResizeWindow.

I don't know where to go from here.

Nick Bishop, email replies ignored.
-----
Disclaimer, n:
  Advice to the reader that they should put their lawyer away.
-oOo-

:
: I think I've already got the latest version of nxlib
: 0.45, but that relies on GrMoveResizeWindow.

The latest version of nxlib uses the following code
for XMoveResizeWindow:

int
XMoveResizeWindow(Display * display, Window w, int x, int y,
unsigned int width, unsigned int height)
{
GrMoveWindow(w, x, y);
GrResizeWindow(w, width, height);
return 1;
}

It shouldn't use the obsolete GrMoveResizeWindow.

Sounds like you've got an older copy of nxlib.

> The latest version of nxlib uses the following code
> for XMoveResizeWindow:
>
> int
> XMoveResizeWindow(Display * display, Window w, int x, int y,
> unsigned int width, unsigned int height)
> {
> GrMoveWindow(w, x, y);
> GrResizeWindow(w, width, height);
> return 1;
> }
>
> It shouldn't use the obsolete GrMoveResizeWindow.
>
> Sounds like you've got an older copy of nxlib.

Yes, ... now that I compare, I see I've got a rather heavily
butchered copy of nxlib.  It's got the 0.45 ChangeLog, but it looks
as if my supplier has butchered it to pieces.

Bug report winging its way to my supplier, then.