nanogui: Thread: Problem with Microwindows Timers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Problem with Microwindows Timers
From: Steven Vahl ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2009 23:24:01 -0000

I'm using a Microwindows-0.90 on a soft Microblaze processor (on a Xilinx FPGA), running uCLinux (kernel version 2.6.20-uc0), and the Microwindows timer events don't seem to be firing, or they aren't getting caught.  I can't get them working in my own code, but what makes me think the problem isn't in my code is when I run the "nxeyes" demo program, the eyes never blink.  (The blink code runs off of a Microwindows timer.)

I can run the 0.90 "nxeyes" program on my laptop Redhat Linux system and the eyes blink there, so I believe I'm running the program correctly.

My embedded uCLinux system has neither a mouse nor a full keyboard, but I don't know if that's relevant to the problem or not.

Does anyone know of any reason the Microwindows timer functionality wouldn't work on my Microblaze/uCLinux system?

Is there other information I could provide that would help diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steven Vahl

________________________________
NOTICE: This message (with any attachments) is confidential and may constitute privileged communication, and is intended only for the recipient(s) named herein. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution, copying or dissemination of the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact us immediately by telephone, facsimile, or email, and delete this e-mail from your computer system without retaining a copy.
I did a very small Nano-X program that does use the timer and some other
basic events, It f´runs fine on a NIOS CPU (embedded in an Altera FPGA)
running uCLinux.

If you want me tom I can send you the source code.

-Michael

> I'm using a Microwindows-0.90 on a soft Microblaze processor (on a Xilinx
> FPGA), running uCLinux (kernel version 2.6.20-uc0), and the Microwindows
> timer events don't seem to be firing, or they aren't getting caught.  I
> can't get them working in my own code, but what makes me think the problem
> isn't in my code is when I run the "nxeyes" demo program, the eyes never
> blink.  (The blink code runs off of a Microwindows timer.)

The core timer code is in nanox/srvmain.c, in the (multiple implementations
of)
GsSelect().  The idea is that before nano-X server decides to sleep for
a keyboard, mouse or network event, it also calculates when the
next timer should fire, and passes that as an argument to select()
for later wakeup.  Due to differences in OS implementation, this
function is sometimes replaced.  Check closely for your
implementation.

> I can run the 0.90 "nxeyes" program on my laptop Redhat Linux system and
> the eyes blink there, so I believe I'm running the program correctly.

Yes, its likely something to do with the uCLinux kernel, possibly
with flags used to build that kernel.

> My embedded uCLinux system has neither a mouse nor a full keyboard, but I
> don't know if that's relevant to the problem or not.

Likely not, but could contribute to the issue with select() above.  There
should still be at least one file descriptor in select, unless you're
running LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER. If that's the case, you'll
likely need a slightly different method to fire the timers regularly
(or awake from the sleep).