nanogui: Thread: Flicker with dynamic images

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Flicker with dynamic images
From: "Robert S. Grimes" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Apr 2009 01:12:59 -0000

Hi,

I'm working with a board derived from the Freescale/LogicPD mcf5329
evaluation board, and using the microwindows-0.90 package which is
included in ltib-cf_nommu-20081215 from Freescale's web site.  The
framebuffer (kernel is linux-2.6.26) is set up for a 320 wide by 240
high LCD.  The penguin shows fine on power-up.

But, when I try to run some of the demo apps, I get mixed results at
best.  As a good example of exactly where I'm at, if I
run /usr/nanox/launcher.sh, I get what appears to be a 3 x 3 matrix of
icons, presumably for launching other demo apps; the icons included are
(top row) Tetrix, Slider, Terminal; (middle row) Clock, Magnifier,
Scribble, (bottom row) Roach, Tux, and NXEyes.  This matrix has its
lower left corner aligned with the lower left corner of the screen, and
does not occupy the entire screen; the remainder (about the top 25% and
the rightmost 10%) seems to be some patterned background.  All this
appears good - I say "appears" as I'm not really sure what to expect.
However, there is a big problem - the bottom ~20% of the screen has a
flicker that exhibits itself as random row-wide artifacts.  What I mean
is that it seems some rows really are not being drawn - for example, row
200 might be drawn, row 201 gets skipped, and row 202 gets drawn where
201 should be.  I say this because it appears that the labels of the
bottom three icons (i.e. Roach, Tux, and NXEyes jump up and down a row
or two.  The rest of the display is rock-solid.

After playing with this a while, I've discovered something.  After about
15 seconds, the launcher.sh demo goes into a random screensaver mode.
Some screensavers look really good, such as a "searchlight" that
illuminates a small circle that is moved over the display, the rest of
which is black - simulating a flashlight searching in a darkened room.
For this screensaver, every thing is sharp, and there is no flicker
whatsoever.  Other screensavers, such as one that looks like lighting
flashes, exhibits the flicker over large portions of the display - not
just the bottom portion.

Other screensavers show either extreme, or behavior in between them.
What seems to be going on is that the more dynamic the graphics, the
more the flicker is exhibited. Put another way, the more static the
display, the less flicker is noticed.  I would expect that a totally
static display might well show no flicker whatsoever.  (Note: I don't
know if the launcher.sh main screen is indeed fully static - it would
appear to be, but perhaps something at the very bottom isn't).

This would seem to be timing related or something, but I haven't been
able to find anything amiss in the stock code.  I did come across
something regarding priority of the LCD controller on the internal
crossbar switch, but it appears that it has already been elevated to the
highest priority by the kernel.

I'm completely stumped by this - anyone have any ideas on what might be
amiss, or what to investigate?

Thanks,
-Bob

 I have the same issue which i have posted in the  group, anyways for
me the mouse pointer moves here and there irrespective of the touch
made by the stylus. I think there is something to be done with the
sensitivity or pressure reading . I think we are on the same boat ;-).

As a  you have addressed as launcher works it is same for me also.
screen saver will also comes up but no input will be taken.

-Thanks
Franco

On 4/13/09, Robert S. Grimes ####@####.#### wrote:
> [...]
>
> Other screensavers show either extreme, or behavior in between them.
> What seems to be going on is that the more dynamic the graphics, the
> more the flicker is exhibited. Put another way, the more static the
> display, the less flicker is noticed.  I would expect that a totally
> static display might well show no flicker whatsoever.  (Note: I don't
> know if the launcher.sh main screen is indeed fully static - it would
> appear to be, but perhaps something at the very bottom isn't).
>
> This would seem to be timing related or something, but I haven't been
> able to find anything amiss in the stock code.  I did come across
> something regarding priority of the LCD controller on the internal
> crossbar switch, but it appears that it has already been elevated to the
> highest priority by the kernel.
>
> I'm completely stumped by this - anyone have any ideas on what might be

Just try to use CVS version of Nano-X, personally I have never seen such issues.