plustek: driver for LM983x based scanners next shot

Subject: Re: driver for LM983x based scanners next shot
From: Kyrian ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2001 17:44:19 -0000

Gerhard,

"Jaeger, Gerhard" wrote:

> Hi Kyrian,
>
> On Saturday, 24. November 2001 17:14, Kyrian wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > However, I just can't get the damned thing working.
> >
> > Without:
> > options scanner vendor=0x07b3 product=0x0017
> [SNAP]
>
> Well this is because the Plustek IDs are currently not inside
> the scanner part of the kernel :-(
>
> I'll submitt the ID's as soon I have some of the identified...
Well, the above ID's are a plustek UT12, but you knew that already...
;-)

If people email the contents of /proc/bus/usb/devices wrt. their USB
scanners, that would help you, surely? even if they haven't got them to
work yet, because the code for the USB proc fs stuff does work...?

> > With /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf as:
> >
> > /dev/usb/scanner0
> > usb 0x07b3 0x0017
> Well the problem is, that the backend expects:
>
> usb 0x07b3 0x0017
> /dev/usb/scanner0
>
> and not the other way...
Ok, but it doesn't work the other way around either, as per the strace
in my previous email.

> Sorry!
> While using your version, the devcie scanner0 is expected to
> be a parport device...
So, if - for example - I do...

mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

And change /dev/usb/scanner0 in the /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf to
/dev/usbscanner then that should get around the hard-coding in the
backend?

Although grepping the source code for either "scanner" or "usb" reveals
any hard-coding of that sort, I think you must mean something related to
major and minor device numbers...?

Not to mention that it still doesn't work even with the new device name,
and the right major and minor numbers as checked against the kernel
documentation...

An strace of what it tries this time comes up with the same stuff... It
opens the libsane-plustek.so.1 library, opens the plustek.conf file,
reads all the data in from it, does a call to munmap(), and writes out
the error message straight away, without even trying to open the device.

If this is definitely a SANE problem, rather than a purely plustek
backend problem, then let me know and I'll ship the question of to the
right list and stop bugging you all, if not, then I'll just wait and
see...

K.